I created this recipe to make healthy holiday sugar cookies with cookie cutters, but they could be made at any time of year. Banana and peppermint may sound like an odd combination, but I use peppermint as a secret trick to add more complex flavor profile, that helps make up for the lack of sugar. This recipe uses wheat flour and eggs but you could experiment with substitutes. Most importantly, have fun !
Ingredients (Organic if Possible):
• 1 cup ripe banana (I used two medium bananas) mashed or puréed. You could also try to substitute applesauce instead if you are ok with less sweetness and don’t want any hint of banana flavor.
• 1 cup unrefined coconut oil, soft
• ½ cup water
• 1 large or 2 small eggs
• 50 drops monkfruit extract
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more vanilla or other extract)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 3/4 cups white flour (or try a gluten free flour mix)
• ½ cup cassava flour (or you could experiment with using cacao powder or more flour)
• Blend all ingredients thoroughly except the flours. After adding the flours, mix until just combined.
• Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
• Roll the dough out with a rolling pin and use cookie cutters to make shapes.
• Place onto a cookie sheet (greased with coconut oil).
• Bake for 13-15 minutes. They don’t need to brown, but if you like a crunchier cookie you can brown them.
• Allow the cookies to cool on cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring using a spatula.
• To decorate, check out my frosting recipe and coconut sprinkles recipe (coming soon). You could also decorate with chopped nuts, cacao nibs, etc.
Check out my Facebook post about tips for healthier baking.
And for all of my heathy recipes, see this album.
To check out new and additional posts, please visit and “like” my Facebook page. Thanks!
***Thank you for visiting Clean Green Toxicant Free! I started this site simply because I want to help people and share information. I dig deep and seek the most truly non-toxic products, without bias. I am not paid to write anything and I don’t sell anything. In 2022 I became an Amazon Associate, which does NOT bias my recommendations. I may earn small dividends from purchases made after clicking my clearly labeled amazon affiliate links (even if you don’t buy those specific items), which helps cover the costs I pay to maintain this site. More info is on my About page.***