This recipe makes quite a bit of dough. The great thing about it is you don’t need a special donut pan! Kids love to help shape the dough by hand. The only sugar would be if you use glaze or toppings that have sugar.
• 1 cup organic gluten free flour (I used cassava from a brand that tests for lead and has low levels).
• 1/3 cup organic cacao powder. Here is the lowest lead option I have found: https://amzn.to/3N0WOCG(Amazon associates link)
• 3/4 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 ½ cup water
• 1 cup organic nut or seed butter (smooth, runnier texture will probably work best)
• 1 tsp monkfruit powder. You can add more to your liking, but be sure to add a little at a time because it is possible to add too much. Here is an Amazon associates link to the one I use: https://amzn.to/47p0xCb
• 3 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
• 1 ½ tsp organic vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients. If your dough is crumbly, add water a small amount at a time until you get a consistency similar to play dough. You should be able to shape the dough fairly well (although it likely won’t be quite as easy to work with as play dough).
Place shapes on a greased stainless steel pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (you don’t want them to get too dried out). They don’t have to be donut shapes. We also made heart shapes that looked more like fancy tea cakes.
For a chocolate glaze, I use either Artisana hazelnut cacao spread (similar to Nutella but slightly healthier): https://amzn.to/3uyqroA (Amazon associates link) or the one that Thrive Market makes, with no added sugar! Sprinkles really added to the flavor and general enjoyment of the taste and texture. I use the sprinkles that came with Miss Jones frosting. They aren’t perfect toxicity wise but much better than other options. Amazon Associates link: https://amzn.to/3R9OZvv
To check out new and additional posts, please visit and “like” my Facebook page:
***Thank you for visiting Clean Green Toxicant Free! I started this site simply because I want to help people and share information. I dig deep and seek the most truly non-toxic products, without bias. I am not paid to write anything and I don’t sell anything. In 2022 I became an Amazon Associate, which does NOT bias my recommendations. I may earn small dividends from purchases made after clicking my clearly labeled amazon affiliate links (even if you don’t buy those specific items), which helps cover the costs I pay to maintain this site. More info is on the About This Website page.***