• 2 ⅔ cups Organic All Purpose Flour (330g) or you can experiment with gluten- free flours substitutes.
• 1 1/4 cups Organic White Granulated Sugar (300g) OR you can experiment with using applesauce instead, at a 1 to one ratio. So 1 ½ cups applesauce. You may find that you need to adjust this amount. You could also use the same amount of coconut sugar if you are ok with the cake being a caramel color .
• 3 teaspoons Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
• ¾ teaspoon Salt (see my salt guide).
• 1 ½ cups Almond Milk (360ml)
• ½ cup (120ml) Coconut Oil, melted
• 2 teaspoons Vanilla or other extract
• Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the white sugar (if using it), baking powder and salt and mix together.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 8-inch cake pins with coconut oil. Set aside.
• Add the applesauce (if using as a sugar substitute) almond milk, oil and vanilla extract and whisk in with a hand whisk until just combined. Don’t overmix.
• Divide the cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
• Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack and let them cool completely before frosting.
See my healthier frosting recipe here.
Here are two ways to make healthier sprinkles.
Or for a “better” ready-made frosting and sprinkles, see #4 in this post.
Check out my Facebook post about tips for healthier baking.
And for all of my heathy recipes, see this album.
To check out new and additional posts, please visit and “like” my Facebook page. Thanks!
***Thank you for visiting Clean Green Toxicant Free! I started this site simply because I want to help people and share information. I dig deep and seek the most truly non-toxic products, without bias. I am not paid to write anything and I don’t sell anything. In 2022 I became an Amazon Associate, which does NOT bias my recommendations. I may earn small dividends from purchases made after clicking my clearly labeled amazon affiliate links (even if you don’t buy those specific items), which helps cover the costs I pay to maintain this site. More info is on my About page.***
This recipe was adapted from Loving it Vegan