2 Cups of Organic Flour (I used all purpose which contains gluten, but you could experiment with a gluten free flour blend that is meant to mimic all purpose flour).
2 Tbsp of Oil (I used organic olive oil)
1/2 Cup of Salt (see my guide to low-lead salt)
2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar (note that organic doesn’t exist for this)
1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
Optional: Natural food dye such as India Tree (Amazon associates link https://amzn.to/3LWfAcM)
1. Pour 2 cups of flour into a bowl.
2. Add 1/2 cup of salt.
3. Mix in 2 tbsp Cream of Tartar. (You can find this in the spice section of just about any grocery store.)
4. Add 2 tbsp of oil.
5. Pour in the boiling water. Be careful because this makes the dough hot! If you want all your dough to be the same color, you could add food color now.
6. Mix all the ingredients together with a spoon until they form a dough.
7. After it’s cooled, to make several different colors of playdough, separate the dough into equal balls and drop 1-3 drops of food coloring into the center of the balls and carefully knead. You could wear gloves if you want to be sure not to dye your hands. Amazon Associates link to kids disposable gloves I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGKQXBC/ref=cm_sw_r_as_gl_api_gl_i_8M2JZ7KQS1CC0YRTZV8J?linkCode=ml2&tag=cleangreentox-20). Also, protect your work space.
To check out new and additional posts, please visit and “like” my Facebook page. Thanks!
***Thank you for visiting Clean Green Toxicant Free! I started this site simply because I want to help people and share information. I dig deep and seek the most truly non-toxic products, without bias. I am not paid to write anything and I don’t sell anything. In 2022 I became an Amazon Associate, which does NOT bias my recommendations. I may earn small dividends from purchases made after clicking my clearly labeled amazon affiliate links (even if you don’t buy those specific items), which helps cover the costs I pay to maintain this site. More info is on my About page.***